Business Strategy Consultation and On-going Management
Business: Handmade Mermaid Jewellery
- create a website
- blog about mermaid lifestyle
- get on social media
- create a newsletter subscription
- sell her handmaid jewellery
- long term: create a collaborative website with other local artisans
- not sure how to create website, who to host it with, how to design it
- not sure best social media platform to use for her business or how to use it
- not sure what to do with a customer email list
Outcome of strategy session
- decided on where to host her website, we chose Squarespace as it is easy to manage for someone who isn’t tech-minded but would like to update her site on her own
- decided on domain names, we bought both the .com and the .co.uk URL’s as she is a UK based business that sells internationally. I advised that it is also a good idea to buy the domain name with the American spelling of jewellery, this way she owns her brand name and no one can buy those domains and hi-jack her business
- advised her on the best social media platforms to focus on for her specific business, Instagram and Pinterest, explained to her why, (they are visual platforms ideal for handmade jewellery) and gave her a run down on the best ways to leverage them for her business
- gave her resources to manage and schedule her social media content, best practices, and brainstormed some relevant hashtags for her target audience
- we brainstormed at least 5 blog post ideas and topics and decided on scheduling a new blog post every Saturday when we agreed her target audience would be most likely to read them
- advised on where to find free stock photos for her blog post and on copyright law, as well as what is tax deductible
- advised her on search engine optimisation and preferred blog length and formatting
- explained how Pinterest works, how to set up her account, upgrade it to a business account, what boards to create and how to automate content scheduling to target her ideal audience
- we picked a bright, bold and eye-catching profile picture to use across all of her social media accounts
- we signed up to Pinterest and Instagram with the same username she already has for her Facebook page which also matches her new domain name
- advised her on how to use Youtube to bring in targeted traffic and that her ideal market will be found on Youtube
- we discussed free opt-in gifts for people signing up to her newsletter list, both in the short term and in the long term, such as a helpful PDF, discount on her jewellery and a video series
- gave her a blog resource that specialises in handmade craft businesses as she also sells at festivals and fairs
My business management assistant tasks
- set up her Instagram and Pinterest business account and populate with content as well as research optimum hashtags and search terms
- edit and format her blog content
- schedule her content to her social media
- design her website on Squarespace
- set up her newsletter mailing list, which includes integrating it with her new website and designing her newsletter template
My client was absolutely thrilled once we had hashed out exactly what she wants for her business and exactly how to make it all happen. When we started the consultation she expressed that she felt overwhelmed as she had no idea where to start, by the end she felt relieved and inspired as a result of pinning down her immediate action steps with the knowledge of how to go about it.
Given that I am also assisting her in the set-up tasks, she feels the business will be a success, and so do I. I am happy to train her and provide resources for her so she can eventually self-manage her business. She is also able to consult with me later on if she has any other questions.
‘Amazing and invaluable advice- Lisa is at the cutting edge in her field!’
Back in October 2015 I took the leap of faith a growing number of people are taking, and left the rat race in favor of starting my own business. I have always been creative, and with a background in sales
and head full of ideas I rather ambitiously figured “how hard can it be?”.
After a couple of not so successful ideas, I launched my ‘baby’ Surf Siren Jewellery- a brand using natural materials, sea glass, and designed incorporating the healing power of natural crystals.
I created Etsy, Facebook and Twitter accounts, joined groups, and harassed my friends in a like an share bonanza. Within a couple of weeks things were looking great! I had 250 likes and lots of followers. My posts were reaching 100’s of people and generating Etsy sales- But then it happened, everything went quiet!
The initial buzz had died away, and my lack of knowledge on how to access my online target market was becoming blindingly obvious. This was November, so being prime Christmas retail time and desperate to tap into the market, I fell into a common trap. I opted to pay Etsy and google to promote my items in their listings. Although this did generate income and certainly helped over the busy Christmas period, it was clearly not a sustainable business model going forward.
The more I researched into social media, the more overwhelmed I became. What were the best platforms? How do I build a website? What is hosting? And how could I manage all of this whilst still leaving me time to be a mum and even make my products?
I needed help.
Looking for help, I contacted Creative Business Consulting and have been blown away by the level of service- Lisa has been absolutely amazing!
Our initial 3 hour consultation was inspiring and insightful, taking my overwhelming jumble of potential ideas and refining them into a sleek, achievable strategy.
Her vast knowledge of the industry is immediately evident, from the workings of all the social media platforms and web programs, down to finer details such as the most effective images to use as profile pictures.
She talked me through website design, hosting, keywords and generating web traffic. She shared some of the most important tips she has gleamed from her vast experience as a professional blogger, and offered all kinds of support to get me started on my own lifestyle blog.
She also showed me how to massively reduce time spent at my desk by automating and pre-scheduelling posts. She explained how by using the newest programs and apps, combined with analytics, I can work much more effectively- this alone is well worth the consultation fee!
Lisa has really helped me to envision my long-term goals, and her passion and creative flare have turned these into something that not only feels achievable but tangible. I can’t recommend her highly enough, she has filled me with confidence and excitement moving forward- a million miles away from the semi-technophobe I had previously been!
A truly invaluable resource for any business- 10/10!
Jenn Faulks, Surf Siren Jewellery
Are you ready to finally take the rains of your online business?